Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Beacon

Since we got engaged while on vacation, it feels weird settling back into a routine at home. It's not that either of us is any different than we were before we made our big announcement (it was planned, after all). But something has changed. Something small and sparkly and on my left hand. Everywhere I go, I feel like people are noticing the ring. Logically, I know they aren't; but then again, when have human beings ever been rational?

We didn't call everyone we knew to tell them the big news; instead we put it on Facebook and let the information trickle through our friends and acquaintances (and told our moms, who gladly disseminated the news).

Friday was my first day back at work after our engagement trip. Everyone was so excited, wanting to see the ring, telling me how lucky my honey and I both are to have each other. I shared my news with complete strangers, who were also ridiculously excited and very congratulatory--some of which created fleeting bonding experiences: "we're engaged, too!" My favorite, though, was this: "Welcome to the family! Marriage is a wonderful institution... if you make it that far... or you could just stay engaged..." Weird.

I don't know whether or not I'm looking to the beacon effect wearing off. Getting engaged is an important life event, but probably not the biggest life event.

No comments:

Post a Comment