Sunday, March 17, 2013

What's Cookin'

Our menu tasting was today at 2pm, and enough time has finally passed (4 hours, give or take) that I can think about food without feeling queasy. Don't get me wrong: the food wasn't bad. Exactly the opposite. I don't usually eat to the point of illness--but I don't usually go food tasting for my wedding, either, so there you go.

My nightmare food experience did not come to pass. The restaurant ("bistro") where we were didn't even have an outdoor dining option: it was hyper-trendy, dimly lit, with glass bubbles hanging from the ceiling and pages from an old book glued helter-skelter over the windows. We were virtually the only patrons, and the food was intense. We waded our way through two appetizers, two salads, and three entrees. Appetizers: check and check. Salads: one yes, one no (do roasted potatoes belong in a "spring greens" salad? I have my doubts). Entrees: two that we virtually scraped the plates, one that elicited a "meh" (perfect--the goal was two). The only thing we weren't decided on were the sides (mashed potatoes and...? We ended up crossing our fingers and going with something we didn't actually try).

After we were stuffed to the gills, the chef (at least I think that's who he was; he brought each of the dishes out with a detailed explanation and a flourish, but it was hard to tell through the Saint Paddy's Day green pseudo-suit shirt) asked how everything was. What were our decisions? Was there anything we wanted to change prior to the big day? As a matter of fact, there was something we (read: I) wanted to change. If we're doing a fruit skewer (spoiler) that includes grapes, they need to be seedless grapes. Pseudo-suit skipped a beat before telling me that it can be tricky to find organic, seedless grapes. I just stared at him. His next statement was "I'm sure we can special order some."

I'm not a Bridezilla, I swear. Seed-ful grapes are just never appropriate in a fruit skewer. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. People spitting out grape seeds at your wedding reception does Not paint a pretty picture!

    ReplyDelete