Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mum's the Word

You may have noticed (or you may not have) that I actually began this blog before I was publicly engaged. My honey and I planned our engagement for some time before we told anyone. I picked out my engagement ring, we both got sized, and we planned a romantic getaway to wine country that I have termed our "engagement trip" to revolve around a significant date in our relationship.

We began our "engagement trip" on Sunday, and on Monday morning I handed him The Box while we were still in our hotel room. He opened the box, placed the ring on my finger, kissed me, and we walked out the door to begin the day's adventure.

I called my mom after lunch and said "Nick asked me to marry him!" 

There was a loooooong pause, followed by "you mean he... proposed?" 

"Yes." Isn't that what I just said? (I'd actually thought I was being more direct by using the 'm' word instead of saying that he proposed: Proposed what? That we get a puppy?)

"Did you say yes?"

"Yes." Would I have called you and been super excited if I'd said no? Apparently, wine country, although lovely, does not have the best cell reception, because my mom repeated her last question, waited several seconds (during which I said "yes" about a dozen times) and then hung up the phone.

I called her back and was finally able to get my message across, and she started crying. Great. Eventually she was able to compose herself enough to ask if he'd called his mom, say something congratulatory, and hang up the phone.

Next time my mom and I talked, she had clearly gotten over her initial shock. She was in full wedding planning mode. Location? A winery closer to home (we have a lot of wineries in California). Time of year? Undecided. Mom's two cents: you don't want to have an outdoor wedding when it's too hot, or you'll be sweaty and feel gross, and no bride wants to be sweaty. 

Well, at least she's on board.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first-ever Blog-reading and I started at the top and worked my way down - oooops!!! And I come across in your narrative as kind of a doh-doh! LOVE YOU BABY!!!

    ReplyDelete