Friday, February 22, 2013

Sharing Is Caring

I learned a lot of things during college. I don't remember most of them. One thing that I do remember is this: in a relationship, it is far more important to have shared values than to have shared interests.

What this means is that two people don't have to enjoy all of the same things in order to be compatible. My honey likes to play video games. I would rather be reading a book. And that's a-okay. We share things that are more important, like a strong work ethic and a desire to raise our future children to be the best that they can be. We are both very family-oriented, yet sometimes feel frustrated by our families. We have similar temperaments: we are both adventurous and enjoy new experiences.

Don't get me wrong; we do have some common interests. Just not all of them. This will ultimately be a strength in our relationship by helping us maintain our individual identities, at the same time that we build our identity as a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment