Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Dress, Uncovered

I got a phone call the other day from a number I didn't recognize. I was greeted by name, but couldn't figure out how the caller was trying to identify herself. I asked her to repeat: this time I got her name, but not how she thought I knew her. The third time's the charm: "HiThisIsFlaviaFromBridesByDemetrios." Of course, who else could it have been? Now that I knew who I was talking to, I was able to move on to the juicy part of the call. My Wedding Dress had arrived and I needed to come in for my first fitting. Their earliest available appointment happened to be on my next day off, so I scheduled the appointment, thanked Flavia (who at some point paused to take a breath), hung up and immediately called my Mommy.

This was an appointment I wanted help with.

On the day of the appointment, I met my Mommy at the store, gave her some things I had picked up for the Big Day, got some things she'd brought for me (pretty typical of a meeting with my Mommy) and we headed into the store.

Now, a first fitting for a Wedding Dress isn't something you can do on the fly. It requires some serious planning. You have to go to the appointment fully outfitted with whatever undergarments you are planning to wear with the Dress, and (obviously) your Shoes. Luckily, Victoria's Secret recently sent me a coupon for a free pair of undies (I don't mind saying that white undies aren't really my style, and I'd rather not have any crazy colors or patterns showing through my white Dress) so I dragged my honey to VS (he's going to see the chosen undies eventually, and I don't want him to think they're lame) and picked out a pair of cute lacy undies in plain old white to wear and not show through my Dress. I didn't think I wanted to wear a bra under the Dress (it has enough padding and cushioning and support to keep everything in place, not that I have so very much to begin with) but I decided to take a strapless bra with me to the appointment. Just in case. 

And then there are the Shoes. Have I purchased Wedding Shoes? I have not. I had been planning to wear flip flops (it's going to be hot in wine country in the summer, and I hate wearing uncomfortable shoes), but my Mommy convinced me that I should have a cute pair of heels, at least for part of the festivities. So I brought both.

Which brings us back to the fitting. Finally. We'd purchased the Dress in the appropriate size, but it still needed to be tweaked a bit. They're taking in a little at the boobs (sorry, Honey), a little at the hips, and a little off the length (why are Wedding Dresses designed for women who are 5'9"? That is not the average height of American women...). Mommy agreed 100% with all of my chosen adjustments. And, of course, she took pictures (that no one gets to see until after the Big Day). And then we get to go back in a couple of weeks to make sure everything's perfect. Sounds pretty perfect so far.

1 comment:

  1. It's a Perfect dress for a Perfectly Beautiful Bride My Baby!!!

    ReplyDelete