Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sweet!

Our first cake tasting was today. We had a 2pm appointment, but the owner's husband (who's self-proclaimed job title was "Cake Boy") called me yesterday to ask if we could come in at 1pm instead because they had so many cakes to deliver today that he had to rent extra delivery trucks and help deliver cakes himself and he hated to do this and it just made him so upset to inconvenience us etc etc. I assured him it was not a problem, and we walked in the door at about 1:15 (there are entirely too many Torrey Pines Roads in La Jolla).

There were two other groups of people tasting cakes when we arrived (cake morsels would be more accurate; each group was given a two-bite-sized piece of each of a dozen different flavors). One group consisted of a bride, groom, bride's mom, and bride's friend. The other group was just a bride and her mom. The bride of the larger group had dressed up for the occasion, which I found a bit odd, although, technically I was dressed up, too, in a white tank top given to me by a friend, which reads "Bride" across the chest (I know it's cheesy; deal with it).

Cake Boy was very chatty (in other words good at his job as a salesman). For the inconvenience of making us reschedule, he would give us a free Groom's Cake for my honey and his groomsmen. If we decided to purchase our cake from them, obviously. I suspected we would have gotten that deal anyway, as he felt like my honey was a kindred spirit as a fellow member of the Navy (in Cake Boy's case, during Vietnam). He gave us our plate of cake morsels and described each one. They had all the usual suspects (chocolate mousse, carrot cake, raspberry, lemon, strawberry, red velvet) as well as some different choices (chocolate peanut butter (at which my honey started paying closer attention), coconut, pineapple poppyseed, peach). We were left to peruse the cake books while eating and discussing. 

Looking through the books, there was a lot of fondant. The one thing we had agreed before going in was No Fondant. It may look pretty, but it's barely edible, so why bother? We found one cake in the book that we were both agreeable to, with some possible alterations. 

After we finished eating cake, I asked my honey "What'd you think?" He responded with "It was alright" which pretty much summed up how I was feeling. The cake was decent, but not spectacular. My honey was more agreeable to the cake than I was, even after his mediocre response. His thought was that if it wasn't bad, we should get it. My thought was that if we were going to spend (I'm predicting) several hundred dollars on a cake, it has to be better than only okay: it better be the best damn cake I've ever tasted.

And so we left empty handed, with matching sugar-induced headaches, to try another bakery on another day.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it didn't go better Baby! I hope the next ones are waaaay more tasty! I hope it won't come down to a choice of taste OR appearance. Want you to have Both!!

    ReplyDelete