Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What Friends Are For

With the help of one of my bridesmaids, I may finally have a handle on bridesmaid dresses. Not that I haven't been looking for them: I've scoured various stores and gone shopping with both my Mommy and one of my bridesmaids (my adorable Niece). I just really haven't been all that impressed by anything I've seen. And then I had a revelation.

This is the age of technology.


Oh yeah. The Internet. I've heard of that. I've even done shopping on it before. And set up a Honeymoon Registry (http://www.honeyfund.com/wedding/bonnieandnick if you're curious).


I've done some perusing of dresses on the Internet and been both underwhelmed and overwhelmed by what I've seen. A couple of trends have emerged regarding the dresses I find most appealing, one from the in-real-life shopping, one from the web, and one from common sense.


Trend #1: Green is good. 
                  (easy to match with my colors... what are my colors, again?)
Trend #2: Chiffon is good. 
                  (not too formal; nice and light for the summer)
Trend #3: Short is good.
                  (have I mentioned my honey and I are having a summer wedding?)

From here flow a few more important factors when it comes to bridesmaid dresses. I have only two bridesmaids. One of them is my Niece (Friends of the groom, don't even think about it. You have been warned. You will be warned again.) The other is my good friend. They are separated by more than a decade. What looks good on one might not be right for the other, and they likely don't have quite the same taste in dresses. And honestly, bridesmaid dresses aren't the most important part of the Big Day. As long as they look good, that is. Why would anyone want ugly dresses in their wedding photos?

Here's my solution: Give both of my lovely ladies the same color to work with and tell them each to pick out their favorite chiffon short dress. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment