Monday, January 6, 2020

Happy New Year, Now Go Clean Your Freezer

When I went to my freezer today to pull out something for dinner, I discovered every meal prepper’s enemy: freezer burn. I also took a good, hard look at the sweet potato fries that had fallen from their package into the corner of the freezer many moons ago and realized that I’d put off cleaning my freezer for long enough. I pulled everything out and KonMari-ed the ziplock baggies of meat and produce. I wiped out all the mystery gunk before putting the winners back in (categorized by type of food and level of preparedness, and of course my trusty ice cream maker). I even rinsed the crumbs off of my ice packs and gave them the place of honor in the door for easy access. The whole process took about 20 minutes and made me feel so much more positive about the prospect of keeping my family well fed. It’s something I can’t recommend enough. Especially if you resolved to do anything food related this New Year’s. Clean your freezer, take stock of what you have, and get rid of anything that has outlasted its shelf life. It will help. 

1 comment: