Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Adventures in voting

As my California readers know, today is our primary election. Because my hubby and I live in a small, rural community, our great state has decided that it's not worth their effort to provide us with a polling place. Which means that we get the ease of voting by mail and are deprived of the "I voted" stickers to wear around after showing up on election day. 

Except that my mail ballot didn't arrive. I checked our county's voting website, which was useless--want to register to vote? No problem. Want to find out what to do when you don't get your mail ballot? Too bad. I called their voting hotline, which was useless--I gave up after 15 minutes on hold. I called the state's voting hotline, which at least told me it was useless--a friendly recording told me that there were 114 people on hold ahead of me, at which point I knew I should hang up. I ended up finding my answer on a non-official website: I could vote in person at any polling place. 

Excellent! The nearest polling place was a mere 25 minute drive away. My hubby figured he might as well come too and deliver his mail ballot in person so we could both have our votes counted today and so we could both get our "I voted" stickers. So of course we decided to get lunch while we were out. And stop at Home Depot. Who doesn't love Home Depot? So my hubby got a new chainsaw. Which he actually did need because his old one crapped out. When you heat your house with firewood and live in the woods where there is a lot of dead wood around, you need a pretty zippy chainsaw. 

So now we're home, sporting our "I voted" stickers, and my hubby is happily chainsawing away in the woods.

1 comment:

  1. Who knew voting could be both Productive and Adventurous!!!

    ReplyDelete