Monday, June 13, 2016

A Monday morning post

If there's one thing I look forward to about Monday mornings, it's a nice hot cup of coffee. Or, depending on the weather, a nice cold glass of iced coffee. Being preggo, I know I'm supposed to keep my caffeine consumption under 200 milligrams a day, so I usually drink one cup of coffee and save the rest of my caffeine for miscellaneous chocolate cravings. That way, I know I'm not going overboard, but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. And I'm also not counting every milligram of caffeine that enters my bloodstream. It's a win win. 

Now, as far as I'm concerned, some good creamer is an essential part of the perfect cup of coffee. Creamer is basically a combination of the classic coffee additives cream and sugar, with an infusion of other delicious flavors. But have you looked at the ingredients in coffee creamer from the store? I don't want vegetable oil in my creamer, thank you very much (which is at least a step in the right direction... I saw one once that had palm oil in it, but that's a topic for another day). 

At this point, you may be wondering how I enjoy a cup of coffee with delicious flavored creamer without all the weird ingredients. I make it myself. It's super easy, and healthier, as far as I can tell. There are two basic ingredients:  


Combine equal(ish) amounts of milk and sweetened condensed milk in a resealable container, add whatever flavoring you want, and shake it all together. Like I said, super easy. It costs about the same as the creamers you'd find at the store (the condensed milk is about $2 a can), lasts as long as the milk, and doesn't have any scary ingredients. Plus you can put it in a cute container like this one: 


How you want to flavor your creamer is completely up to you, but I'll share a couple of my favorites in case you need a jumping off point. Vanilla extract and cinnamon make a delightful cinnamon roll creamer. Simple vanilla is nice, too. Start with a teaspoon or so of vanilla, and add as your little heart desires. Or sprinkle in some pumpkin pie spice for the fall/winter/anytime you miss pumpkin. Just remember to shake well before using. What other coffee creamer flavors do you enjoy?

1 comment: